All you need to do
- Apply for current account
- Give us the account number and sort code of your old account
- Have your old debit card details available
7 working days to switch
It normally takes just 7 working days to complete the switch over. During that period, you'll be able to use your new account as you would normally.
The Current Account Switch Guarantee only applies if your old account is closed as part of the switch
If you choose a partial switch, not a full switch, we won’t cover you for any potential financial loss.
If you keep your old account open, we won't cover the costs of any missed payments.
Switching with an overdraft or overdrawn balances
If an overdraft forms part of your decision to switch your account to us, please wait for confirmation that this is in place at the level required before you proceed with a switch to us (as approval for the overdraft is based on a credit check and assessment of your personal circumstances).
You can still switch your account if you're overdrawn, but overdrawn balances are not transferred as part of a switch.
You have the option to pay off any overdrawn balance including any fees or charges on your old bank by using available funds with us or an arranged overdraft. (Your Old Bank will be able to advise of the best way to pay off any overdrawn balance with them).
Other stuff you may want to do
Tell your friends and family you've changed your account details
Especially people who often transfer funds to your account, like your employer.
Change your bank details on retail websites
Then you won't have to scramble to find your debit card when you're trying to make last‑minute purchases online.
Switching Third Party Providers (TPP) Open Banking
We allow you to give TPPs (such as financial comparison websites, money management apps and payment services) the ability to make payments on your behalf, and to access your financial data.
If you could do this with your old account, there are a couple of simple things you’ll need to do once you switch to us.
- Before you close your old account, check whether you have any TPP permissions set up and if so, who with.
- Permissions to TPPs to access services on your account won't be transferred as part of the Current Account Switch Service. Once your new account is open you can give your permission to the TPPs to access your new account by providing them with your new account details. You will need to contact the TPPs directly yourself to set this up.
- If you had set up any Standing Orders on your old account via a TPP then we will ensure that any of these payments due to be made after the switch is complete will still be made. In cases where we cannot match the payment frequency of your existing Standing Order mandate, we will contact you to agree alternative arrangements.
Please note: we only allow access to TPPs that are authorised by law to provide their services, so there’s a chance that your current TPP may not be supported to access Co-operative Bank accounts. Our terms and conditions provide more information about TPPs.
Want to make the switch?View our current account
Switching GuideDownload PDF (1.58MB)